Followers

Monday, February 21, 2011

Send in the Clowns

I needed something to put a book in for a gift and decided to recycle a Granola box. I undid the seams and using the flatten box as a templete, traced around it adding  two extra inches all the way around, and then cut the paper out.
Using red tape on each of the side flaps for strength, I attached the paper to the box (I wanted minimal wrinkling so I decided the less adhesive on the box the better)  And
 again using the red tape on the side flaps, I reassembled  it..

Using Sew Many Cards Sketch #44 I knew I wanted a strong image with minimal embellishments, so I chose a digital stamp I got free [As soon as I remember what site I got it off of I will post the Artist's name] and printed it on Bazzill cardstock. I used Copics and Derwent colored pencils to color the image. I then die
cut the stamped clown with Spellbinder label #10, embossed it, cut the lip off and backed it with Gold mirror cardstock. [I used the same size die for the mirroring].
 I added red rhinestones to his pompoms, though they are hard to see.
I matted the piece with tourquoise cardstock, then gold. mirroring.  I did the same thing with "Celebrate", which had been created in Microsoft Word.
 I used  Spellbinder Petite Small Oval to die cut it and it too
 is backed with gold mirored cardstock. I then pop-dotted it in the right corner.




  
I punched red cardstock with Martha Stewart "Morroco" edge punch and tucked it into the gift box, making it removable in case I wanted a different color. If I was going to adhere it I would have done it while the box was still flat.

I knew the handle needed to be strong so I just cut  various colored cardstock into graduated widths, inked the edges (in contrasting colors, blue with yellow, pink with purple, etc). I stacked one on top of the other. I then clued one narrow end together first, curved them and then clued the other end, which prevented it from buckleing.  I punched a small hole in both the boxes' sides and the handle ends, attaching the handle with a large brass brad( approx 1") at both ends, respectively. The brads are made by Paper Studio.

I have another pic but for some reason my computer is freezing up when I try to import them, grrrrrrr.....LOL.


Yeah I did it!, my computer started working again! This is the top view of the handle, strong enough to hold the weight of a book.


This gift box is for the following challenges...
                                             Sew Many Cards Sketch #44 Feb 24
                                              C.R.A.F.T. ChaLLENGE #90 Feb 23
                                                   One Stitch in Time Feb 25
                                            Papertake Putting on the Glitz Feb 21

Thank you so much for stopping by and hope you enjoyed yourself. Have a fabulous day tomorrow!
Debby

8 comments:

  1. Both creative and gorgeous Debby! Thanks for sharing with us at Papertake Weekly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous - I love the image, and that paper is just fabulous!

    Thanks for joining us at One Stitch at a Time this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah this is super, what a great way to recycle. Thanks for playing at OSAAT this week Hazelxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. a great creation! Thanks for taking part in our No Cards challenge this week at CRAFT! Gemma :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG WOW this is just wonderful and your colouring PERFECT!!! I do love that image!! BTW thanks so much for visiting my blog and the lovely comments!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is lovely! Thanks for playing at OSAAT & CRAFT this week and good luck in the draws, love Jacky x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute idea. Thank you for joining us at Sew Many Challenges.

    ReplyDelete